Tummy tuck surgery is one of the most popular procedures for mothers seeking to restore their pre-pregnancy bodies. Although tummy tuck is an exciting self-care procedure for women after giving birth, there is a timeline that must be followed to ensure safety and best results. PekoMD Cosmetic Surgery, led by board certified plastic surgeon Dr. Peter Koltz, provides tummy tuck to patients in Toledo, Maumee, Northwest Ohio, Southeastern Michigan, and surrounding locations.
After giving birth, it is normal to experience loose and sagging skin. Some mothers may find that their abdomen looks close to normal after several weeks or months, but some may permanently lose skin elasticity. The abdominal wall muscles may also stretch or separate, making them weak and unable to hold tissue together. Unfortunately, diet and exercise cannot repair damaged abdominal muscles.
Tummy Tuck Surgery
Tummy tuck surgery involves the removal of excess and fat and skin, as well as the repair and tightening of any damaged abdominal muscles. This outpatient procedure is done under general anesthesia and is typically completed within a few hours, depending on the extent of your case.
When is the best time for a tummy tuck following childbirth?
You will want to wait at least six months to a year before undergoing tummy tuck following childbirth. Some important considerations for this timeline include:
- You will need to allow your body to heal from giving birth before undergoing another surgery
- You will need several weeks to recover following tummy tuck surgery, and you will be unable to lift or do strenuous things that may be involved with looking after your newborn
- You will be unable to breastfeed following anesthesia and painkillers from your tummy tuck surgery
- You will want to lose any pregnancy weight before undergoing tummy tuck to achieve best results
- You will want to consider whether you are done having children to keep your results from tummy tuck surgery
Schedule a Consultation
If you need help planning the timeline of your tummy tuck procedure, schedule a consultation to be examined by your surgeon and discuss your goals. Your surgeon will be able to provide you with a surgical plan best suited for you. Board certified plastic surgeon Dr. Peter Koltz, provides tummy tuck to patients in Toledo, Maumee, Northwest Ohio, Southeastern Michigan, and surrounding locations.
Contact Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, Dr. Peter Koltz in Toledo, Ohio.
Premiere Plastic Surgeon in Toledo, Maumee, Northwest Ohio and Detroit, Southeastern Michigan and surrounding areas.